Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wedding Rings

I don't wear my wedding ring.  It stopped fitting when I was pregnant with Olivia and I was able to get it back on when she was about 9 months.  Apparently I gain weight in my fingers.  When it finally fit I started wearing it to work again.  And now I'm six months pregnant and it still fits most days, but I haven't worn it regularly since May.  Its too bulky and I scratch Olivia with it too often.

Do people notice?  I don't get hit on when I go to the grocery store (with or without giant baby belly) and most people probably wouldn't expect me to wear it when I jog with Olivia to the park.  But a lot of people make a big deal about it when their ring stops fitting or when its getting cleaned and they can't wear it for a few days. 

Someday I want to get a more simple band that I can wear daily and save my more extravagant ring for special occasions like church an date night.  In the mean time, am I a walking invitation to single men?  (To be fair my husband lost his wedding ring for several months.  He just found it and was excited to prove to his co workers that he was indeed married)

Funny story: A totally drunk guy ended up sitting with us at a bar/restaurant (long story short, we didn't know it was mainly a bar when we went to eat there) when I was only two months pregnant with this baby.  He found out we were Mormon and then asked if we were jack Mormons because I was pregnant and we weren't married.  We tried to convince him that we were (not very hard though, who cares what a drunk person thinks of you?) but our lack of wedding rings ensured him that we were liars and we were not.  That's another thing I don't do, bring my wedding ring on vacation.  I've left too many things in hotel rooms to risk it.

8 comments:

  1. Haha that story is hilarious! I think it would be cool to find a simple band that you can wear everyday--I bet you can find something on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good idea!! Maybe I'll send my husband some links for Valentine's day. :)

      Delete
  2. First, I find it really disappointing that it could conceivably take that long to be able to wear my ring again. I had to finally take it off last week. Cry.

    And second, I never wear my engagement ring. Just my wedding band which is just a simple gold ring. But that's predominately because diamonds in Argentina scream kidnap me and extort my husband for money!! I actually get a lot of compliments from Americans on the simplicity of just wearing a gold band even though it's just the norm here. I think people may finally be ODing on the absurd overdone rings with 900 low quality oversized diamonds arranged in the most obnoxious fashion conceivable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, you probably wont have to wait THAT long for your ring to fit again, I'm just really good at gaining weight. I need to get a little gold band like that for reals. So much more practical to wear daily.

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! I kind of want a simple wedding band to wear all the time too! I find myself washing dishes and changing diapers with my pretty ring on - not what I want on while doing that :) And James...I bought him a ring and he wore it on our honeymoon and it's been in my jewelry box ever since. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome!! Better that than my dad who has lost at least four wedding rings.

      Delete
  4. Yes! Get a ring for this coming V-day! That would be a perfect gift. You could always wear your original ring on a necklace? And if someone asks, say "booyah! It's right here" XOXO your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously busting up over the "booyah!" I'm totally doing it!

      Delete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)