Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Facebook: Its love/hate

So many people rag on facebook.  Its like the cool thing to quit it.  I get it, I do.  But you know what?  I can't get out of the house most days and I don't really have many friends close by even if I did.  What I can do is type with one hand while nursing Axel eight times a day.  And so thanks to facebook (and of course this blog!) I still manage to chat with some mom friends every day.  Yeah, it might look like I'm online all day long.  I am.  No I'm not neglecting my kids.  I read Elmo four times today and held Olivia or Axel or both almost the entire 8 hours Adam was gone.

That being said, I've become a facebook status update connoisseur (that is a hard word to spell, thank you google for figuring out what I meant to type) Here are my favorite and least favorite types of updates:

Love
-What we're having for dinner.  I hear a lot of complaints about this one.  "Why do I care what you're having for dinner???"  Those people have obviously not tried to come up with a months worth of meal ideas.  I love when people share, I almost always want the recipe.

-Funny stories.  About anything.  Your kids, your job, heck even your dog if its really truly funny.  (Sorry, I'm not a dog lover.  Or a cat lover.  Pretty much I just like my human children).  Is having kids a requirement to liking these kind of posts?  I don't think so, but to be honest I can't remember much before having Olivia.

-On that note, I love mom stories, even if they're not funny.  Didn't sleep last night?  I want to hear about it (makes me feel better about my five hours if you only got two!)  Its just nice to know there are people in your boat.

Hate (is a strong word, but its the yang to the yin of love, ya know?)
-Negative Nellys.  Okay, so I get it, life is rough.  But do you have to complain every.ten.minutes?  Especially people that complain about how mean their kids are.  They are KIDS.  If you don't have the emotional maturity to realize they don't actually 'hate' you, well its going to be a long 18 years.

-Quotes that you didn't write.  Or memes.  Are those the same thing?  In any case, this isn't pinterest.
Just call your grandkids and tell them you love them.  No need to repost this tackiness.

-False information.  Snopes, have you heard of it?  Onions aren't going to kill you, microwaved water isn't going to make your plants die (or do anything harmful to you either) and the government has not removed "In God We Trust" from the new dollar coin (heads up, its on the edge of the coin, cool huh?). 

What do you love/hate about facebook? 

5 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people constantly thinking of getting rid of my facebook, because it's starting to make me hate people.

    The things I love are knowing when people are engaged/pregnant, funny statuses (like you, about anything as long as it's funny) and pictures.

    Things I hate are political posts (don't care about which side, I hate them indiscriminately), people ThAt tYpE lIkE THiS or have terrible grammar/spelling, drama queens/kings, people that put up 30 pictures of pretty much the exact same picture, and inspirational quotes & memes (or like the one you used as an example).

    Sorry, I'm probably one of the negative nellies (heck, look at my con list!), and I think I sometimes joke that Lincoln hates me. The point of my statuses are primarily to be amusing, though, not to whine. Hopefully that comes across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, and people that are constantly saying they're going to the gym! NO ONE CARES. It just feels to me like they're bragging or something.

      Delete
    2. You are absolutely NOT one of the negative people in my facebook feed. In fact I went back to read your status updates and HOW DID I MISS THE BRA POST??? Good stuff, good stuff.

      Delete
  2. Amen Sista. Also hate when people complain about money or their spouses. #tacky

    ReplyDelete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)