Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Chickpeas Five Ways

Last summer I had a significant amount of baby weight to lose and my husband had an ARC (advanced reader copy) of a diet book from the publisher he worked for.  I read it, fell in love and knew that this was one of the best diets.  The WOW Diet focuses on fresh, seasonal ingredients and unprocessed foods.  I lost a good amount and was feeling really healthy.  Then life happened, and I haven't been as good at following the diet as I was.  BUT one thing I learned from the book was to incorporate more beans into my diet.  They are filling, full of good things for your body, and if you make them right, they are so yummy!  Here are my five favorite recipes for chickpeas, which is the least glamorous of the legumes after the lima beans, but it sure cleans up nice!

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough


Three Bean Salad


Humus
 (try to find an attractive picture of humus, I dare you)
Ingredients:
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Directions:
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor, adding olive oil a little at a time until humus blends smoothly.  
2. Eat with chips or pita bread.


Roasted Chickpeas
Source: thekitchn.com via becca on Pinterest

One thing I do not mentioned in the roasted chickpea recipe is to turn the oven to 200 after they have reached the color you like and let them dry out a little more for an hour or two.  This give more consistent crunch to your snack.  

Avocado Chickpea Salad


To find the recipes click on the small links under the pictures.  Meanwhile, I'm off to the kitchen to make them all!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I want to make all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to make the cookie dough for you when you were here but I kept forgetting!! Hopefully you'll like it when you try it :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip! Unfortunately, I've had a hard time convincing others of its greatness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think the one girl that did like it was after I blended it for a long long long time to make sure the texture wasn't like hummus. Plus we were both dieting and it had been a long time since we'd had real cookie dough!

      Delete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)