Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

TBT Birthday

Linking  up with Bonnie this week for Throwback Thursday!!
So I'm at my parents' this week and I went through a lot of photo albums to download pics for this fun series and. . . apparently I went through a phase of not wanting my picture taken.  From like 8 until I was 20.  This is the best picture I could find for this post.  It was a little after my 13th birthday, but I was camping so I'm hoping I was a little cuter than this in my day to day life.  Who knows?  There isn't a lot of photo evidence.


My most vivid birthday memory is my 13th birthday.  Fitting, don't you think?  Becoming a teenager.  I was the youngest of my group of friends (which I hated at the time, but now I think it's pretty great!) and so they all made this big deal about it.

I had a slumber party on the tramp with my best girlfriends from school.  They went in on my birthday gift as a group and got me jelly shoes and every color of nail polish (wet n wild holla!).  Both of those things (jellys and multi colored nails) were critical to jr. high survival, so they really did have my best interest at heart. 
Just like these, only mine were clear.

In the middle of the night my dog got loose and charged us on the trampoline.  It was pretty awful.

The best part of the birthday was the next morning when all my friends were getting ready to go home, the phone rang.  My sibling (can't remember which one) brought me the phone.

"Happy Birthday," said the voice.

My heart stopped.  It was my biggest crush of all time calling me on my birthday.  We talked awkwardly for a minute.  I probably got off the phone so quick he thought I didn't like him.  I really was just so scared to say something stupid!  Even now, thinking about it, I can remember the butterflies.

I didn't ever date him really, but he was my first date when I turned 16 and he also took me to my prom junior year (he was graduated.  I was so mature, taking a college man to prom!)  Ah, memories. 

10 comments:

  1. I remember jellies! I used to own sparkly pink ones! And the phone call from your crush? How awesome!
    morrellfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like a dream. And to have all of my friends there to witness it??? Awesome.

      Delete
  2. Jealousssss. My dad never let me wear jellies and it was the biggest tragedy of my childhood. We coul only wear real leather shoes so our feet wouldn't sweat and blister but I WANTED THOSE JELLIES. also jealous your crush actually CALLED you! My crushes never knew who I was...until I turned 16 and finally grew boobs. Ah, puberty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad let me wear jellies BUT the finger nail polish??? There was disapproval every time I painted my nails, hand OR feet. I was such a little Jezebel.

      Delete
  3. Hahah jellies were the worst (I mean, best, though)!!!! They really did make your feet sweat and get blisters but they were soooooo coooooool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED my jellies! Did you do jelly bracelets too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And look at Andrew all cool or annoyed there beside you!! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously wearing church shoes while camping is "cool"

      Delete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)